Preparing the materials is a major part of my thesis work. The database I’m analyzing uses a list of diagnoses which in fact should be called diseases. The diagnoses list is tangled, the entries do not describe single properties of the patient. I can’t analyze the data in this form, because all the statistical methods assume that the variables describe single properties. Multiple regression, for instance, will find combinations of factors that have an effect on the response variable, but the factors themselves need to describe single properties.
What I need to do, is remapping.
Please note that the VSD isn’t mapped anywhere on this picture. In fact, it is mapped, but the VSD target is not included in this picture. This graph shows only few mapping connections, because the whole picture wouldn’t fit in here. I think it would take a whole wall of the room and would be unreadable.
At first, I tried to create a mini-language to describe the mapping. Unfortunately, the cycle of writing, compiling and examining the results was far too long and very inconvenient. So I have changed the way of representing the mapping and rewritten the program that helps choose the mapping. Now, I have a web-based tool, created with Django, that allows me to do everything be clicking and see the results immediately.
The program suggests also, what factors could be also mapped to the current factor. For example, if I’m editing the IVS factor, the program will look for all the original factors that had IVS in the name. One click and the factor is mapped.
Now, having the easy to use tool, I’m ready to sit down with a doctor and complete the mapping.